NABNE (the North American Board of Naturopathic Examiners) is an independent, nonprofit organization formed as a service to the naturopathic profession and the agencies that license/register naturopathic physicians. NABNE serves regulating bodies by qualifying applicants to take the NPLEX (Naturopathic Physicians Licensing Examinations), administering the examinations, and sending exam results and transcripts to regulatory authorities.
The five-member NABNE Board works with an Advisory Council comprised of representatives of:
- The Federation of Naturopathic Medicine Regulatory Authorities (FNMRA) representing the State/Provincial naturopathic regulatory authorities
- The Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME)
- The Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges (AANMC)
- The Council of Chief Academic and Clinical Officers (CCACO) representing the nine CNME-approved naturopathic medical programs
- The Naturopathic Medical Student Association (NMSA)
- The American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP)
- The Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND)
- The naturopathic profession at large
NPLEX (Naturopathic Physician’s Licensing Examinations) is an independent, nonprofit organization whose purpose is to prepare valid and reliable Part I Examinations that assess the readiness of students to enter the clinical phase of training, and Part II Examinations that assess the entry-level competence of candidates who plan to become licensed/registered naturopathic physicians. The NPLEX Council of Exam Chairs oversees the exam development process.
About the NPLEX Examinations
Every jurisdiction that licenses/registers naturopathic physicians requires that you pass both the NPLEX Part I – Biomedical Science and NPLEX Part II – Core Clinical Science Examination. To be eligible for licensure to practice as a naturopathic physician, you may also be required to pass some or all of the NPLEX Part II – Clinical Elective Examinations (Minor Surgery, Acupuncture, and/or Elective Pharmacology), or to take additional examinations administered by a regulatory authority (see Jurisdictional Requirements for Licensure/Registration).
The NPLEX Part I – Biomedical Science Examination may be taken after you have completed all biomedical science coursework at an approved naturopathic medical program (ANMP). The NPLEX Part II – Clinical Science Examinations may be taken after you have passed the NPLEX Part I – Biomedical Science Examination and have graduated from an ANMP.